Subhashish Mandal is an Interior Design Architect, Lifestyle and Fashion Influencer and also an LGBT voice who has been working across various design genres for the past 25 odd years. Having come into the rainbow limelight in the early 90s when society was not as virtually equipped he went across to finish his Architectural degree in 1996. Since then he has worked in many prestigious firms in various genres of Interior Design, fashion projects both in India and the Middle East. Battling both sexual orientation and also racism in various platforms he has emerged today as one of the leading Design professionals in the market and also a style influencer of repute.
Having dealt with a lot of bullying and identity issues during college especially , when the LGBTQ rights were not only illegal but also not understood, he stood strong and took in his stride to be his own person. Having stayed true to his nature and spirit to become one of the more social outspoken people of his day and still is today having been an out of the closet gay man for almost 30 years. This in turn has contributed to his proactive programmes within the workspaces he has bene part of in speaking about rights, spreading the know and helping others to express themselves more.
The world of Instagram and his own Blog began about 5 years ago and has taken much more of a concrete footing in the past three years. Well known through the name of The BaldEagle, he has used his caption of “flight of endless exploration” truly is a testament in creating a niche for himself specially in the field of style/ fashion and focusing on local traditional genres in clothing/ jewelry. Crafts and Art. Juggling this with a demanding full time job he has grown in strength and also showcased many of his design talents on his webpage link with the same name.
With over 60k followers on his Instagram, the Baldegale Subhashish has used his voice to focus on a special fashion focus looking at #makeindia #sustainable #wearindian movement in his sartorial choices. He says,” After my return from the Middle East in 2010, I realized how much I missed the wonderful legacy of styles and fashion offerings from the many varied landscapes in the country. This for me would be a focus in most of work on social media and hopefully also inspire many more younger influencers to join this genre in their story telling. Much of images are also contexually taking back to architectural and historical locations of the country”
A glimpse across his feed will also highlights health , natural beauty products and fitness which he feels many men as they get older don’t focus on.
Some of his influencing tips to the many aspirants in the field are:
- Before the journey , understand your voice and what it defines you to be different.
- Be responsible in the time you invest, the content you create and the relevance of it in the current context.
- Given the nature of SM structuring today, being successful is not always about the number of followers/ how many brands feature you but more about how they regard your work.
- Consistency and Originality is key, while its good to follow trends but keep your voice your own. Far too much of what is shared is repetitive and does not showcase longevity.
- Although personally I have not developed the talent on more visual video platforms, videos, Tik-tok but its good to keep up with the times and keep innovating .
- Find time to relate and connect with your audience, they need to be able to find a link to you in whichever way. We hope you enjoyed the colorful journey and his experience and here is hoping the eagle keeps flying higher always.
Liked it? Pin it!
Here is to a connect to Umang’s Blog!